5 Top Tips to Keep Your Skin Soft This Winter
The winter months do a number on our skin every year. The coldness mixed with the dry air drains your skin of its moisture and dries it out. If left unchecked your skin will become cracked and potentially bleed over time. Indoor heating doesn’t do us any favors either, as forced air tends to be quite dry as well. This all combined with hot showers and baths make for a real dilemma for your skin health.
So, what are we to do?
Well there are a few things that can be done to help keep your skin remain healthy and soft throughout the harsh winter months.
- Use warm water: As mentioned earlier, hot showers and baths are great, but they cause your skin to dry out! So, consider using warm water instead of piping hot water. This won’t strip as much of your skins natural oils away and leave it less dry.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize: Make sure to moisturize right after you have finished washing! Be it a bath, shower, or simply rinsing your face; it is important that you moisturize that skin to help seal in your skins natural moisture. Keep some moisturizer handy in your bathroom so you don’t forget in the hustle and bustle of the week.
- Protect yourself form the elements: Before you step outside in those harsh winter conditions make sure you are covered from head-to-toe in winter gear such as: gloves, scarves, winter coat and boots. It is also still important to utilize sunscreen in the winter months! UV Rays don’t hibernate in the winter!
- Humidify: Winter and indoor heating dries out the air, so make sure you are putting that humidity back in the air in the places you have control. Consider installing a humidifier in your home! An ideal place for one of these would be your bedroom so your skin doesn’t dry out while you sleep.
- Drink plenty of water: Studies show that we drink less water in the winter, but the rules never change! Stay hydrated no matter the time of year. Drink plenty of water and fluids! Your body needs fluids to keep functioning at 100%.